Friday 10 June 2016

My IMATS buys part I. - MUFE

Still recuperating from all the queueing at IMATS London, I decided my first post will be about my purchases from the weekend.  I had a great time, it was unbelievably busy and crowded, the whole event had a great vibe and met a good few nice people! On Saturday my boyfriend came with me and despite not having to do anything with the business, he could find interesting tidbits, special effect demos, a make-up competition to  keep him preoccupied while I was having a bit of a me time with  my credit card. But what does getting one step closer to bankruptcy mean when you can have a lipstick pen with the IMATS logo on it? It's a must have, no?

Joke aside the IMATS is a great opportunity to get some seriously good deals (especially if you own a pro card – white, red, blue, gold), sign up to pro schemes, meet new people as well as old friends in the industry and have the chance to see great make-up artists in action. It was Alex Box's turn this year and the make-up team of The Revenant lead by Duncan Jarman.

Enough with the chit-chat, here is what I bought:

I spent the most time at the Make Up For Ever stand. It was one of the most crowded ones, it took a while to actually talk to the staff there, but it was worth a wait. I worked with the previous HD range before, so I was curious how the more recent one perform. I wasn't disappointed.








I got  four shades of The Ultra HD foundation to try: three yellow undertones – light (Y215), medium (Y315), dark (Y535) and a pink undertone (R240) to mix with. These shades are perfect to play with until you decide which one to get for your kit. If you had the previous HD formulation, MUFE has a good guide about the new corresponding shades. If you're buying for personal use, I would definitely recommend trying it on your skin first to get the best possible shade. ULTRA HD was created for the latest high-definition technologies of film, it is invisible on 4K camera and photographs beautifully, so apart from professional use, it is great for personal use if natural look is your style. It comes in an incredibly wide range of colours, ladies of colour are not excluded here! The texture is silky, easy to work with, it looks like skin with a satin finish. It has medium buildable coverage, you can apply it with a buffing brush or a Beautyblender, depending on what effect you want to achieve (using a brush always gives you more coverage). This foundation is virtually undetectable, it stayed on my combination, slightly oily skin really well, I just had to powder once or twice, which I don't mind at all. I would probably avoid using this foundation if you are particularly oily all over. 

MUFE Ultra HD 4K Invisible Cover Foundation is retailing at £29.00  here
Same goes for the concealer. A tiny bit goes a long way, and it has excellent coverage that stays on well unless you are oily around the eyes. The two colours I bought are great to play with and mix them for light to medium tones (Y23 and Y41). I find it a little confusing that MFUE says there are correcting and concealing shades. Does this mean that I should buy two to achieve the right effect?  The best thing to do again is to is try it on your skin, see what colour works best for you. It is fragrance free, so it can work on sensitive skin too.
MUFE Ultra HD 4K Invisible Cover Concealer is retailing at £20.00  here

Powder foundations are not my thing and are not that I use too often, but wanted to give this one a go. The Pro Finish powder foundation comes in sleek compact with a sponge and mirror, easy to travel with. I applied the product dry with sponge, later a brush and tried the wet sponge technique too. Personally I liked the finish with the latter because it didn't give that powdery look I don't like. I'd say this works best on normal to combination to slightly oily skin after doing your concealing. I definitely wouldn't put too much on especially if you have a lot to cover, go for something else (the Mat Velvet foundation is ideal for that) if that's the case.

MUFE Pro Finish retailing at £27.00 here

MUFE's old HD primer in mauve used to be my all time favourite brightening primers and I was really disappointed to see it go. When they came out with the Step 1 Primers in 10 shades last year,  I was curious to try how these new ones work. The range offers a lot from mattifying, to smoothing through hydrating to correcting and brightening. Mauve again became a firm favourite of mine for both personal and professional use (apart from Caramel for darker skin tones). The texture is smooth, easy to work with and brightens up dull skin beautifully.


MUFE Radiant Primer is retailing at £24.00  here


The MUFE Camouflage palettes are staples of any make-up artists kit, you can buy the pro colours separately in a pot too, as I did now. This colour (#20 Orange) is really useful when you want to neutralise blue or dark areas of the skin – like under eye darkness, tattoos, thread veins. The texture is creamy, it has high coverage and personally would use a brush strategically placing it just where needed.

This 7 grams of product retails at £15.00 here and it lasts for absolute ages. Well worth it.
The Aqua pencil was a gift. This is a smudge proof formula, so it stays on well, highly recommended for you with oily eyelids. The texture is soft and easy to work with, mine is shade 10L, a lovely gold colour which I use quite often on myself, so this one went straight into my personal make-up bag. These pencils have shiny finish, so they are not for the ones going for a natural look, but if you're a bit of a magpie like me than go for it!
MUFE Aqua pencils are retailing at £13.00  here



No comments:

Post a Comment