Friday 9 September 2016

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel review


A great hydrating formula that actually does what it claims might be a bit difficult to find on a budget but it's not impossible. I always encourage my clients to do their research before jumping into buying the newest, brightest, shiniest toy of a skincare that doesn't actually perform well on their skin or is not for their skin type and needs. Some might appear very effective but taking a closer look they're not what they might say they are.

The new Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel promises to work on all skin types and to "renew skin's hydration levels by replenishing water and strengthening skin's moisture barrier, resulting in hydrated, smooth, supple skin". The ingredients, they say, that make the difference: purified Hyaluronic Acid (for hydration) and olive extract (for giving and locking in moisture). 



The gel texture is light, smells nice and it wears nicely on my combination skin in warm weather during the day. It contains silicone oil, so it is light and smooth on application, it is also a good primer for makeup and it won't break the bank.  However, all in all, it didn't do much for my skin over time, unfortunately.  At the age of 39 (seriously, where has the time gone?) my skin feels as if it's craving more nutrition and boost. This gel looks inviting but didn't perform that well on me. I think there are better, more efficient and sophisticated formulations on the market that you can pick from when my skin feels thirsty. Shame about this one, because there are some Neutrogena products that I absolutely love (the T/Gel is an old favourite in our home or the Visibly Clear 2 in 1 Wash and Mask is a firm favourite of my boyfriend's). Maybe it would work better on a younger skin.


Potential concerns:

It contains silicones: Dimethicone - silicone oil that provides smooth application, skin conditioning agent, could be an irritant but fine if used the right way.

It is tested on animals.


It contains parabens and fragrance - possible irritants.

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel is available for £12.99 at Boots, you can order it here.

I think I'll get back to my old favourites:  the Hylamide Low Molecular HA booster (see review here) and the Hydraluron Moisture Booster from Indeed Labs. Both are affordable, fragrance-free, not tested on animals and you get really quick positive results using them.









   

No comments:

Post a Comment